Magdalena Skořepová, kozni(at)lf1.cuni.cz
This chapter shows the collecting of skin scrapings, nail debris and hairs for mycological examination. First, the lesion is cleaned by 70% alcohol to remove the contaminating molds. Scales are scraped from the active margin of the lesion. A fairly large amount of material is required for proper examination. In onychomycosis, thescrapings are taken from under the nail plate.
This presentation shows clinical pictures of superficial mycoses of the skin, nails and hair, together with principal differential diagnoses. Tinea of the scalp and beard: Kerion Celsi – a deep form of tinea of the scalp with purulent in fioltrates. Differentiation from a bacterial infection (carbuncle) isdifficult. Tinea barbae profunda (sycosisparasitaria) = mycotic folliculitis of the beard.
- This course provides insight into the clinical pictures, diagnosis and therapy of superficial mycoses of the skin, hair, nails and mucous membranes. A self-assessment test is included. The study material is intended for information only and no certificate is issued.
- The correct taking of skin, nail and hair specimens for mycological examination.
- Images of fungal elements in microscopic preparations of skin and nail scrapings.
- rief description of cultivation and identification methods. Images of fungal cultures, especially dermatophytes
- Non-specific and specific topical antifungals. Guidelines for external therapy of dermatomycoses and onychomycoses.
- A brief summary of guidelines for systemic (oral) therapy of superficial mycoses: indications, choice of drugs, risks and precautions.
- A self-assessment test